Sunday, August 30, 2009

I Have a Dream

I just returned from our church's annual retreat weekend. This weekend is one that my family values and appreciates. However, it is NOT a "retreat" of relaxation. I am exhausted from my head to my toes.
This year's theme was "I have a dream" as this was the anniversary weekend of Martin Luther King Jr.'s famous speech. Prior to the retreat, I was asked to share during a group session, my "Top 30 dreams." A "dream" was defined as either a nighttime dream, daydream or wish/hope for myself or others and each dream was to be less than 10 words long. I said "yes" I would share, so, I had to get up in front of my friends, acquaintances and others to share, out loud, my list. This, in itself, is a sort of "bad dream" to me, as it is hard for me to share personally without lots of emotion (tears). However, I did this, and decided I would also share this list here.


I have a dream that my children's dad will see them graduate from college,
that I will grow so many tomatoes I will have to beg others to take them,
that ice cream will be the new health food

At night I dream of houses with many unexplored rooms
of my mom
of my dad

I dream of what color to paint my bedroom
and my kitchen
and my living room

I dream of an entire day without tears, from anyone, anywhere

I dream of a world where mediation is chosen as the norm, not court

I dream of an entire day to myself
or an afternoon
or an hour
or five minutes

I dream of reading a really good book which is the first in a series

I dream of long hikes in the woods
of sitting on the beach reading a novel
of camping in the great outdoors

I dream of my kids doing their chores without being asked
and without complaining
and then asking what more they can do to help
(If you're going to dream, you might as well dream big!)

I dream of a cure for childhood cancer
and for brain tumors
and for pancreatic cancer
and for non-hodgkins lymphoma
and for prostate cancer
...the list goes on


and I dream of a world where anyone with any of these diseases has access to the same excellent health care that my family has received

So, most of all, I dream of hope.


Now that I am done with this "assignment," I find that I am constantly coming up with more "dreams" that I did not include. I invite you to take some time and do this excercise for yourself. If nothing else, it may help you decide what it is you prioritize and whether or not that is where you are truly expending your energy.

1 comment:

You Can Call Me Jane said...

Thank you so much for posting this since we weren't at retreat to hear it. Oh, how I wish all your dreams come true- you deserve it, friend.

I'm so glad you started blogging again:-).